PARENTS BILL OF RIGHTS FOR DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY
Alfred-Almond is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher, and principal data. In accordance with New York Education Law § 2-D, the district wishes to inform the parents (including legal guardians or persons in parental relationships) and Eligible Students (students 18 years and older) of the following:
- A student’s personally identifiable information (PII) cannot be sold or released for any commercial purpose. PII, as defined by Education Law § 2-d and FERPA, includes direct identifiers such as a student’s name or identification number, parent’s name, or address; and indirect identifiers such as a student’s date of birth, which when linked to or combined with other information can be used to distinguish or trace a student’s identity. Please see FERPA’s regulations at 34 CFR 99.3 for a more complete definition.
- The right to inspect and review the complete contents of the student’s education record stored or maintained by an educational agency. This right may not apply to parents of an Eligible Student.
- State and federal laws such as Education Law § 2-d; the Commissioner of Education’s Regulations at 8 NYCRR Part 121, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA") at 12 U.S.C. 1232g (34 CFR Part 99); Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") at 15 U.S.C. 6501-6502 (16 CFR Part 312); Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment ("PPRA") at 20 U.S.C. 1232h (34 CFR Part 98); the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (“IDEA”) at 20 U.S.C. 1400 et seq. (34 CFR Part 300); protect the confidentiality of a student’s identifiable information.
- Safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices including but not limited to encryption, firewalls and password protection must be in place when student PII is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by NYSED is available at www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security, and by writing to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.
- The right to have complaints about possible breaches and unauthorized disclosures of PII addressed. Complaints may be submitted to NYSED at www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security; by mail to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234; by email to email@example.com; or by telephone at 518-474- 0937.
- Parents may make a written report of a possible breach of student data to Alfred-Almond’s Data Protection Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by regular mail at Todd Goho, Data Protection Officer, Alfred-Almond Central School, 6795 State Route 21, Almond, New York 14804.
- To be notified in accordance with applicable laws and regulations if a breach or unauthorized release of PII occurs.
- Educational agency workers that handle PII will receive training on applicable state and federal laws, policies, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices that protect PII.
- Educational agency contracts with vendors that receive PII will address statutory and regulatory data privacy and security requirements.
If you are experiencing technical issues while working on schoolwork from home, please fill out the technology form below. A member of our tech team will assist you as soon as possible. Thank you!
Other helpful resources:
- Classlink Homepage
- Google Drive
- Google Classroom
- Student Portal
- Castle Learning
- Brain POP
- Brain POP Jr
- Keyboarding without Tears
- Math Playground
- Think Central
- Xtra Math
Student Portal Info
Username: Student ID Number - look on your schedule or report card
Password: Guidance (uppercase G)
Change password: Once logged in, select the "My Account" tab at the top.